Graduate Frequently Asked Questions – School of Education & Human Development

Graduate Frequently Asked Questions

Who can I contact if I have questions about a specific program?
Please contact the SEHD graduate studies general inquiries line at 305.284.SEHD (7343) or complete the SEHD Graduate Inquiry Form.
Should you wish to directly contact the Program Director, send them a message at their email address listed here. For Inquiries concerning the doctoral program in Teaching and Learning, please contact Dr. Batya Elbaum directly at
How do I apply?
Applications are submitted online at this link.
Who should I ask to provide Letters of Recommendation?
Letters of recommendations should speak on your academic strengths; therefore, it is appropriate to ask professors and advisors for recommendations. If you have not attended school in a while and are not in contact with past professors or advisors, letters of recommendations from employment supervisors may be accepted. There is no specific combination of the above that is required. Contact information for recommenders should be submitted online via the CollegeNet applications system. Recommenders will then be notified via email that you have requested a recommendation as part of the application requirement. Recommenders can complete the online questionnaire and attach a letter.
Recommendations from friends are not suitable.
When is the deadline for applications?
Some programs admit new graduate students on a rolling basis and others only for the fall semester. For Master of Science in Education (MSED) or Master of Science in Athletic Training (MSAT) application deadlines, visit the Masters Application Process webpage. For Doctor of Philosophy (PHD) or Doctor of Education (EDD) application deadlines, visit the Doctoral Application Process webpage.
What should be included in the Statement of Purpose and Professional Goals?
The statement is the applicant’s opportunity to discuss why they chose to apply to one of the graduate programs in the School of Education and Human Development at UM, what they hope to accomplish while studying in the School, and what goals they would ultimately like to reach once they have completed their program of choice. This is also the place to discuss any special issues that might have had an impact on your academic career or test scores, and to share whatever makes you stand out as an outstanding candidate for the program. 
What is the minimum GPA for admission into your programs? 
A minimum GPA of 3.0.
What is the length of your programs?
The length of the program may vary depending on the program.
Master degree programs may take an average of 1 to 3 years to complete.
Doctoral degree programs may take an average of 3 to 5 years to complete depending on prior degree award.
What is the GRE?
The GRE is the Graduate Record Exam. We require the GRE revised General Test which features questions in Verbal Reasoning, Quantitative Reasoning, and Analytical Writing. We look for a minimum combined verbal and quantitative score of 297. GRE test scores are only valid for five years; if you have taken the GRE earlier and your scores are older than five years, you will need to retake the GRE. You will know your verbal and quantitative scores immediately after completing the exam; however, for review of your application we need official GRE scores sent directly to us from ETS. For more information about the GRE, please visit their website at
Is the GRE required?
Some graduate programs require the GRE, and others do not. Consult the Program Director directly for GRE minimum requirements or send an inquiry to
What is the institution code for the GRE and TOEFL?
The institution code for the GRE and TOEFL is 5815. 
What is the departmental code for the GRE and TOEFL?
Applied Learning Sciences, M.S.Ed. & Ed.D.: 0702
Athletic Training, M.S.AT.: 0629
Bilingual/Biliteracy Development in Spanish, M.S.Ed.: 3907
Community and Social Change, M.S.Ed.: 2005
Community Well-Being, Ph.D.: 2005
Counseling in Marriage and Family Therapy, M.S.Ed.: 2005
Counseling Psychology, Ph.D.: 2005
Education and Social Change, M.S.Ed.: 3601
Exercise Physiology, M.S.Ed & Ph.D.: 0629
Higher Education Leadership, Ed.D.: 3503
Higher Education Administration, M.S.Ed.: 3503
Mental Health Counseling, M.S.Ed.: 2005
Nutrition for Health and Human Performance, M.S.Ed.: 0629
Research, Measurement and Evaluation, M.S.Ed & Ph.D.: 3401
Special Education, M.S.Ed : 3705
Sport Administration, M.S.Ed.: 0629
Strength and Conditioning, M.S.Ed.: 0629
Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), M.S.Ed.: 3907
Teaching and Learning, Ph.D. Concentrations:
Language and Literacy Learning in Multilingual Settings: 3902
Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM): 0799
Special Education: 3705
What Graduate Programs does the School of Education and Human Development offer?
Click here for a list of SEHD graduate programs.
What are your application requirements?
You can find application requirements for all Master of Science in Education degree programs here.
You can find application requirements for the Master of Science in Athletic Training degree program here.
Click the doctoral program below to be directed to its application requirement page.
Applied Learning Sciences, EdD
Community Well-Being, PhD 
Counseling Psychology, PhD
Exercise Physiology, PhD
Higher Education Leadership, EdD 
Measurement, Statistics, and Data Analytics, PhD 
Teaching and Learning, PhD:
Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM)
Special Education
Language and Literacy Learning in Multilingual Settings
Are official transcripts required?
Yes, official transcripts from all institutions attended are required. Even if courses that you took from one school appear on another school’s transcript, official transcripts from both schools must be received.
We will not review a file until all transcripts are included in the application. Transcripts issued to students are not acceptable. Official transcripts must come directly from the institution.
All international transcripts are to be evaluated by an international credentialing evaluation service. SEHD applicants have used SpanTran, Josef Silny and Associates, Inc. and World Education Services, Inc. Click here to see additional university approved international credential evaluation services.
International applicants should also visit our international applicant’s website for all documents requirements. We request international students to apply and submit all transcripts early for timely decision-making so that there is sufficient time for paperwork related to obtaining a visa if the student is admitted.
Send electronic transcript (eScripts) to:
Mail official transcripts to:
Graduate Admissions Office
1507 Levante Avenue
Suite 311
Coral Gables, FL 33146
Who should I contact for questions related to my application status and process?
Contact Graduate Admissions Office at 305-284-2167 or
Contact information for the Graduate Admissions Office:
Graduate Admissions Office
Direct line: 305-284-2167
Main line: 305-284-2102
Fax: 305-284-9395
Where do I send application materials?
Graduate Admissions Office
School of Education and Human Development
1507 Levante Avenue
Suite 311
Coral Gables, FL 33146

What is the cost of tuition?
Follow the link to view graduate tuition and fees.
International students who are accepted into the graduate programs will be required to submit an original bank letter of financial stability in the amount to cover all expenses for the first year of study.
Where can I find information about financial assistance?
Please visit the Office of Graduate Professional Financial Assistance website for information on types of loans and how to apply for aid.
Phone: 305-284-6000
What are the English proficiency requirements?
International applicants are required to submit official English proficiency exam scores. We accept the TOEFL and IELTS. We look for a minimum of 90 on the TOEFL and 7.0 for the IELTS. These scores are valid only for two years; if you have taken the test earlier and your scores are older than two years, you will need to retake the test. For more information regarding the TOEFL, please visit this link. For more information regarding the IELTS, please visit this link.
International students who have received a college degree from a U.S. institution are exempt from taking the TOEFL or IELTS. International students whose first language is English may be exempt from taking the TOEFL or IELTS. Studying English at a U.S. institution is not necessarily sufficient to waive the TOEFL or IELTS requirement.
Applicants holding an undergraduate or graduate degree from an academic institution within the United States or one of the following English-speaking countries are not required to take the TOEFL/IELTS examination:
  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Australia
  • The Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belize
  • Canada (except Quebec)
  • Dominica
  • Grenada
  • Guyana
  • Ireland
  • Jamaica
  • New Zealand
  • St. Kitts and Nevis
  • St. Lucia
  • St. Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • United Kingdom
Do you offer part-time programs?
Most of our master degree programs allow students to take classes on a part-time basis. The doctoral program is only for full-time students.
Do you offer online programs?
Online graduate programs are only offered in Sport Administration (MSED) and Applied Learning Sciences (MSED & EDD)
Can I transfer credits to your master’s programs?
Students can transfer up to 6 credits into a 30-credit program and up to 9 credits into a 36-credit program, but the following conditions will apply:
  • Credits with grades of “B-” or less cannot be transferred.
  • Credits for courses over 6 years old, or taken by extension, cannot be transferred.
  • Credits that have been counted toward another degree cannot be transferred.
In addition, official transcripts must be submitted to transfer credits, and transferred credits will not be calculated into the University of Miami GPA.
When is the New Graduate Student Orientation?
The New Graduate Student Orientation is required and are virtually held in August through the Blackboard platform. For additional orientation information, please contact the Office of Graduate Studies at 305.284.2102 for assistance.