Teaching and Learning
The Department of Teaching and Learning offers a major in Secondary Education designed for students interested in teaching grades 6-12 and leads to eligibility for State of Florida certification. Certification is offered in the general areas of:
- English/ESOL Endorsement; (Major code- SECE)
- Mathematics (Major code- SECM)
- Sciences (Biology) (Major code SECS)
- Social Science (Economics, Geography, History, International Studies, or Political Science) (Major code SECH)
A major in education is a traditional four-year program. In addition, education students are required to choose a major field of study in the College of Arts and Sciences. The program enables graduates to pursue career opportunities related to their Arts and Sciences major as well as those directly related to education. Students can also elect to take a minor in education.
Field experiences and associate teaching placements in a wide variety of schools make University of Miami students among the best-prepared teachers anywhere. Students are placed primarily in the Miami-Dade County Public School (M-DCPS) district. Five M-DCPS schools have been selected as Professional Development Schools (PDS). The PDS provide the ideal setting for a dynamic collaboration that transforms educational theory into practice.
The requirements for a major leading to secondary certification include:
- A grade of C or higher in all Education courses and a minimum of 2.5 GPA in both the Secondary Education major and the subject area of discipline. An overall 2.5 GPA is required.
- MDC-PS fingerprinting and FBI background check
- Admission to Teacher Candidacy
- Successful completion of the Florida Teacher Certification Exams including: The General Knowledge Exam (all 4 sections)- Required for Teacher Candidacy, The Professional Education Exam, The Subject Area Exam
- Successful submission of the FEAP e-portfolio submission through Live Text
- Successful completion of the SEC curriculum requirements
- Core Curriculum Requirements
- Plan of Study: Year 1
- Plan of Study: Year 2
- Plan of Study: Year 3
- Plan of Study: Year 4